Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Cool Newbie Questions!!!

Hi there! I am wondering a few things, and don't know how to ask them so bear with me please ^.^

First, I am pretty new to wood working. My dad introduced me to fretwork about 4 months ago and I was hooked! I like making puzzles, and when I mentioned it to one of my dads friends, he told me I should try intarsia. So to the questions: How do I start? What do I need? How hard is it?

And last, and not as important (the thing which got me wondering) is can I make a picture into an intarsia piece? If so, how? Here is the picture that I want to be able to do someday:

Thanks for y'alls time! ^.^ Hope y'all can help!

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

giday silver ,the easiest way to get going is to buy judy gale roberts book , easy to make intarsia ,it has everything you need to know to get started and theres a full pattern and sanding explanation of 2 dolphins in it for a first project . you want something pretty easy first up . any picture can be made into intarsia but some adjustments will need to be made .thats an interesting pic of a dog on fire , dont quiet understand it ?

The picture is easy to understand.

The dog wouldn't bark.

Owner covers dog in petrol, lights match, dog goes woof!

thanks ^.^ And the picture of the dog is the main character of one of my favorite games O'kami! It mixes Japanese myths all into one game and makes one heck of a story!!! Done in the traditional calligraphy type painting they use ^.^. and I'll look into that book, thanks! ^.^

btw, this might make a better picture:

Hi Silver. I'm a newbie as well. On this side of the pond "Canada" Garnet Hall is as good as it gets. His web site is SawBird.com (sorry I don't know how to make a link) he has patterns and help from beginner to expert. Nice pic, I'm sure you could make that. Hope this helps. Russ

To make an executable link, copy the operational text, in this case "sawbird.com," and open a fresh copy of your browser, i.e. in a new window. In the address line of your base URL, highlight the parts after "http://www.", and paste the copied text to overlay. Hit "Enter" to operate the new address, and open the website. This is mostly to verify it. Then highlight the entire address, and copy to the "clipboard."

In your message to be posted, paste the material from the clipboard. To ensure the link is executable, place a blank before and after the pasted material, like this: ( http://www.sawbird.com/ ).

You can, of course, build the link from scratch, but still ensure leading and trailing blanks.

I've had best results for posting messages, by constructing them in NotePad (MS) in plain old ASCII, without bells and whistles. Format WITHOUT WordWrap, to allow the WWF software to do the justification. Add the bells and whistles in the WWF editor; and smilies too, if you like.

[After posting your message, open the link to verify again, preferably in a new window to reduce regeneration time; edit your message if necessary.]

Joe
    Last edited by joe greiner; 27th November 2008 at 11:18 PM. Reason: [added]
    Of course truth is stranger than fiction.
    Fiction has to make sense. - Mark Twain

Default Thanks

Thanks Joe. I'll give that a try next time. Russ