Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Cold Weather Turning really stinks!

My shed has open eaves, and when I went out there at 6:30AM this morning it was 21F degrees . I built a fire in the pot belly, and by noon, the temp at my lathe (about 3m away from the stove) was only up to about 33-35F, and at the end of the shed where my sanders are, it was about 25. I couldn't stand it. Had to quit turning after making only two of those little spreaders. The gloves didn't help... I hate turning with cold fingers.
    (It's now 7:15 PM, Dec 15.)
    Is it winter in the down under? How cold does it get in your shed?
    Last edited by OGYT; 16th December 2008 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Time difference.
    Al
    Some minds are like concrete thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

it is supposed to be summer here, but we have had something like 8' of rain in the last couple of days...

I don't know how cold it gets in my shed, but under a certain temp I cant go out there anyhow (The arthur in my back plays up).
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

My Other Toys

Gotta suffer for your passions Al!

Since we're in the Sthern hemisphere, we get our winters when you get your summers.

I love the cold weather ... as long as there's a metre of snow and XC skis under me.

Have you thought about 12 v heated garments that bikers use? Gloves, jackets etc. Course you'd be tethered to the power source but once comfy prob wouldn't want to move far anyway. Or maybe strap a motorbike battery to a bum belt. The sealed glass mat units don't weigh much.
    Cheers, Ern

Quote Originally Posted by rsser View Post
    Gotta suffer for your passions Al!
    Says he with reverse cycle Air in his shed
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

My Other Toys

Quote Originally Posted by OGYT View Post
    My shed has open eaves, and when I went out there at 6:30AM this morning it was 21F degrees . I built a fire in the pot belly, and by noon, the temp at my lathe (about 3m away from the stove) was only up to about 33-35F, and at the end of the shed where my sanders are, it was about 25. I couldn't stand it. Had to quit turning after making only two of those little spreaders. The gloves didn't help... I hate turning with cold fingers.
    (It's now 7:15 PM, Dec 15.)
    Is it winter in the down under? How cold does it get in your shed?
    Hi OGYT,

I'm starting to enjoy the cold "cooler" weather, after spending nearly 20 years in the tropics and in the Queensland desert and outback. The big difference is that, up here, cold means 10 degrees Celsius, 5 degrees C. and under is freezing and 0 C. is rare!

Up where I was before, anything under 25 degrees C. is cold weather so, 10 to 20 C is the norm in this area and its nice for a change. I haven't stoped going to the shed because of the cold weather, but I do, because of the heat in some summer days. The lathe shed roof is only 10" higher then me 5'.9", and with days of 40C and higher, I just can't breath, that's when I work only after sun set in most summer days.

I'm not sure what I would do, if I was living in your neck of the woods, but I would most certainly consider making a "donkey" with all the off-cuts and shavings, saw dust from the turnings, and probably a little firewood to supplement the fire going.
    I am pretty certain that some people has built these sort of wood "heaters" up your way, nor a remember what they call them but the name "donkey" is a common name of the water heaters built in the "bush" isolated properties, for heating the water for showers, etc. at the property shearing sheds. These are large metal cylinders, with a water reservoir built-in. The same could be built for heating a shed. I should have a pic somewhere from, from the last one I've used in a property in NSW.
    Lets see............looking..... looking............ found it!

Cheers
    RBTCO

Al,

Where I am its perhaps heat is more of an issue. It does get cold but its not really a problem for me.
    Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. — Pablo Picasso

Time to close in the eaves and insulate the shed, eh?

Although we're down south (the cooler part of Oz) we're in what I'd call a moderate temperate zone. Generally between about 15-30°C. (60-90°F-ish?) Mind you, it can drop below freezing or shoot up to over 40°C (>100°F) on the odd occasion... and it seems like Maw Nature has a wicked sense of humour, as these peaks are usually after a spell of the "opposite" weather just so's we feel it more.

For a while there I had a sawdust burner going (a modified 44gallon drum) but I converted it into the 1st stage of my DC system. Something I kick myself over when we have the cold snaps.

It's the rain that's the real annoyance here... too much in Winter, near none in Summer. They say it's a sign of gobal warming, but I don't believe 'em... in reality it's a conspiracy of the international marketing corporations. Whole squadrons of sponge-covered U2s are flying overhead, sucking up our water to guarantee that the USA has a white Xmas. (And a profitable sales lead up.)
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

Hmm, they must've been grounded to due fuel costs recently Skew.

+1 to insulation. Bulk for thermal mass if you don't get high summer temps; otherwise double sided foil batts.

FWIW, I divided my garage into two (what? space for cages on 4 wheels, joke!), and the turning space is fairly small but well insulated and has a reverse cycle Air Con (Gra, I suffered for an hour working out the necessary output ) . Course, with your winter temps Al, a heat pump wouldn't cope.

That Donkey looks trick RBTCO. Could run hydronic heating in Al's workshop
    Cheers, Ern

Skew,
    The U2's are not bringing it to this part of Texas. We (near Austin) have had almost half of our "normal" average rainfall this year, with little if any predicted for the rest of the year. Maybe they are using it to make snow for the "slide down the hill" people.
    Richard in Wimberley

Tex, I fear there's no normal or average rainfall any more. {
    Cheers, Ern

Those U-2s squeezed out their sponges over Southwest Georgia last week to the tune of around 6" of rain, and a tornado. Then flew up to the Northeast, and dropped an ice storm that put out the lights in a couple million homes (many of which are still out) and such.
    I run a two-ton heat pump for my shop, and while it does a great job here in Georgia, it would have a problem at the temps that Al is mentioning in Texas

-- Wood Listener--

We could do with some of those UFOs up here at the moment. It has not stop raining all day and we are already 200mm+ for the month, I can not keep up with the mowing at the moment so come to me you little green buggers.

Cold weather no problem here I run my air cons at 24 degrees C and that seems to cold at times our average temp is about 33 degrees C with humidity at about 90% if it ever falls below 20 D/C then I will be complaining about the cold.
    Cheers Rum Pig

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Al,

You should move over here to Melbourne, the best place on earth!

Regards
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by aak View Post
    Al,

Regards
    Andy

My Other Toys

Quote Originally Posted by aak View Post
    Al,

Regards
    Andy

Al,
    This is not a good idea unless you want to experience the four seasons most days of the year...........
    I hope it warms up for you

Ruddy
    And my head I'd be a scratchin'
    While my thoughts were busy hatchin'
    If I only had a brain.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast