Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Custome Made Doors For Kitchen Cupboard?

I've purchased a new refrigerator. It's one of those double wide units. Fortunately, I have the width, but unfortunately, not the height.

Therefore, I plan to modify the cupboard unit above the fridge to accommodate the size. This will require removing about 3" (76mm) from the height of the cupboard. Modifying the box is the easy part, but the doors are another problem.

The construction is a vinyl skin vacuum-formed over an MDF core with a profile. The profile runs around the perimeter.

Do any members know where I can get my existing door matched?
    Last edited by DPB; 23rd May 2004 at 06:16 PM.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi there

There's a heap of suppliers of vinyl wrap doors in Melbourne - Nikpol is one - or you could try
    Dale-Glass Industries
    19 Ricketts Road
    Mt. Waverley
    Ph: (03) 9544 0999
    who supply aly types of doors. Otherwise a cabinet maker would e able to tell you of a number of others Unless you've got a very unusual profile, or colour I would think that anyone of them could produce a door to size.

hope this helps

There is another place in Thomastown called Design Form. I have not bought any doors from them but I did check them out.
    Keep in mind getting the door profile matched and wrapped is probably the easy part. I was told that if I went for the vinyl wrap doors and some time later needed a replacement that the colour probably would not match. This is because all of the doors in the kitchen have been exposed to light and maybe sun which will fade all of the doors. It is not noticable until you replace one of them with a new door.

I am back to this question that I asked earlier in the year.

I have learned through my research of the above companies and others that the manufacturers of these doors sell stock standard profiles. If they don't have a match, they can't help.

So my specific question is, do any of you know of a local company capable and willing to make four only kitchen cabinet doors to match an existing profile? (Melbourne based)

The profile is probably not the big problem.
    Matching the finish may be virtually impossible.
    You might end up having to change all the doors if you want them to match.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

I would settle for matching the profile. There are no doors immediately adjacent to the ones needing replacing.

Try Nu-door. They are in Melbourne. If you post a picture of the profile you are after I can see if there is match.

Most the vinyls are from a handful of companys and should be still available. Again post a pic and I'll let you know if you will be in luck. If so I can use my account and have them delivered to your door.

Thanks, Bobin.

Apparently these were not made by either Albedor, or Janper. They guy from Janpur thought it was manufactured by Form-Tec in Sydney.

Approaching the problem from a different angle - perhaps you could keep the doors, avoiding the problems of matching the profile and the colour, and raise the cupboard 150cms or so and add a crown moulding (stained perhaps) to the tops of all the cupboards.

The moulding would create the illusion that this cupboard was meant to be set higher than the others.

Quote Originally Posted by wombat47
    Approaching the problem from a different angle - perhaps you could keep the doors, avoiding the problems of matching the profile and the colour, and raise the cupboard 150cms or so and add a crown moulding (stained perhaps) to the tops of all the cupboards.

The moulding would create the illusion that this cupboard was meant to be set higher than the others.
    Ok, I confess, I'm actually dealing with a new re-fit problem that requires me to find new doors. SWMBO wants me to install new bench tops, new back splash and while I'm at it, a new stainless steel cook-top canopy. I currently have a 600mm hood fan, but she wants a 900mm hood fan. To do this I have to narrow the existing cupboards on either side of the cook-top fan by 150mm - hence the need for four narrower doors.

Of course a simple solution is to replace all of the kitchen cabinets. This would cost about $20,000 - I DON'T THINK SO! Think of the new tools this would buy me.

Do you need doors? How about open shelves. Offer to buy a set of really nice canisters or something.

Quote Originally Posted by wombat47
    Do you need doors? How about open shelves. Offer to buy a set of really nice canisters or something.
    That was my solution to the first problem above the fridge. But she won't go for that one again - already tried.

OK having looked at the photos, your internal profile is made by Nu-door and it is called the 'Pierre' or "Deor" from their designer door range. The edge profile is not one that I have seen. Try this link http://www.nu-door.com.au/product_designerdoors.htm

The vinyl colour looks fairly common.

Solution:

Take the door to Nu-door at 54-56 Merola Way, Campbellfield, Ph: 9357 7772.

Even if they cant do the edge profile, Im sure you could. Then take it back to them and they will wrap it.

If I can be of any assistance then PM me

Boban, you've been a great help. I'll contact them tomorrow.

If Nu-Door dont have any matches, email me at [email protected] and i may be able to help you out. Im a cabinet maker in Frankston that deals with a few different places that do these, and as am not that busy at the moment, would help track one done for you.

Cheers.
    Nick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast