Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Another micro-adjustable box-joint jig

I was not happy with the results I obtained from the box-joint jig that I described in my previous post, which was made from a design sold by Shopnotes. That jig had two problems; its precision depended on the snugness of the fit of my mitre gauge's bar in the table saw's slot; another source of inaccuracy was the fact that the unsupported L-shaped bracket that formed half of the adjustable index pin was prone to flexing, thus introducing further inaccuracy. As a result, I decided to design a jig which would eliminate these sources of imprecision. My jig is based on a miniature crosscut sled, and it features a solid, but interchangeable, index pin, instead of an adjustable one.

The adjustment system incorporates a dial gauge, so that the fine-tuning of the jig's adjustment is quick and easy; it is possible to achieve perfect adjustment of the jig in a couple of minutes.

I have written an article on the jig, which I hope to get published, so I am not giving full details of the jig here, but I will be happy to send any interested member a copy of the article, if they PM me giving their e-mail address.

Rocker

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

My jig is based on a miniature crosscut sled, and it features a solid, but interchangeable, index pin, instead of an adjustable one.
    Rocker

Now that is a much better idea than the original adjustable jig! Excellent lateral thinking! Good luck with the effort to get it published. I'm sure you won't have any difficulty in that department.

The pic looks like it is set up for a tablesaw blade (rather than a dado blade). This would be a much less efficient way to go, if so. Having used a dado blade to form fingers before, my feeling is that the best blade to use for finger cutting is, in fact, a router bit. Admittedly, however, my dado blade set up is the cheap Chinese version (purchased from the USA through eBay) and I needed to clean up the ends (with a chisel) ever so slightly. I have no doubt that your set up could be very easily transfered to a router table.

Regards from Perth

Derek

p.s. here is a rocking crib I built a year ago for a friends baby using a 1/2" fixed finger jig on the tablesaw. I attempted to upload it on Friday (to the other finger joint thread but it would not work. This is more of a "test" than anything.

Derek,
    Actually, the index pin fitted to the jig in the picture I posted is made of two pieces of 1/8" brass bar epoxied together, which give a total thickness of 2.54 mm. This precisely matches the width of the dado cut by the two dado blades plus a thin plastic shim from my set, without any chippers. I am making another index pin board, using two pieces of 6 mm aluminium bar stock epoxied together, giving a total width of 12.15 mm. Again, I can match this width precisely by adding chippers and shims to the dado blades. Probably two alternative pin sizes are all that are needed, so making the index pin width infinitely variable, as in the Shopnotes jig, is a waste of time.

If the jig were adapted for use on a router table, it would have to have just a single runner, rather than the twin runners on my jig, so it might lose some precision due to the extra sloppiness that a single runner would entail. However, one could probably minimise the sloppiness factor by making the single runner for the router-table slot out of polythene, cut from a kitchen cutting board and embedded in a dado in the jig base.

However, I am very happy with the performance of my jig designed for the table saw. The trial joints that I cut with it fitted perfectly without the need for any paring; and achieving the optimal adjustment of the jig is quick and easy.

Rocker

Rod in Ontario,
    Please read your Private Messages; I can't send you details of the jig until I know your e-mail address.

Rocker

Rocker,

Where do you source you knurled knobs, tee handles and dial gauges?

I assume you only have one gauge and swap it between jigs....or do you?

Cheers,

P

Bitingmidge,

The knurled brass knob was very generously given to me by Rodm, who I think liked my morticing jig. However, a wingnut and locking nut work just as well, but don't look as neat. I got the dial gauge from an Engineer's supplies shop in Caboolture, but there are probably similar places on the Sunshine coast (look in the Yellow pages under that heading). Tee-nuts and knobs with bolt extensions can be found at Bunnings.

Rocker

Sheesh. How many more people are going to message me requesting a copy of the article on this jig without giving me their e-mail address. I have had three such requests in the past couple of days. So, if you want a copy of the article, GIVE YER FREAKING E-MAIL ADDRESS; otherwise, I shall ignore the request.

Rocker

Also try the Sunday Markets for cheap dial gauges.

PS I bought a bunch of knobs from America as they were considerably cheaper than here.
    Bob Willson
    The term 'grammar nazi' was invented to make people, who don't know their grammar, feel OK about being uneducated.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker
    Sheesh. How many more people are going to message me requesting a copy of the article on this jig without giving me their e-mail address. So, if you want a copy of the article
    GIVE YER FREAKING E-MAIL ADDRESS[/SIZE
    Rocker
    G'day Rocker,

I've just found this from a link you put in elsewhere.
    Is the offer still available?

I'm making up some Do-Dads and the like to
    Get my hand and eye back in
    Have the Jigs [ and Do-Dads ] available when I require them.

Best eMail for me is at work where I can open, print and Bind what comes through.

[email protected]

Thanks,
    Count

PS do you have other than your Rocker Chair for sale?

Ivan,

I have e-mailed you the box-joint jig article.

The only item I sell is my rocker plans and instructions on CD, as per my website. I could be persuaded to make a rocker for sale, if the price were right, but, in view of the amount of work involved, I have to charge a hefty price. I am currently making an armless rocker. Well, arms can get in the way sometimes

Rocker

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker
    Ivan,

I am currently making an armless rocker. Well, arms can get in the way sometimes

Rocker
    David
    You are a rude man, Darren tells me you have made a house full of really nice furniture and he was very jealous. Surely you can find a piece of furniture more suited to your amorous tendencies than an armed rocker, or is that an indirect boast.
    Jim
    ps could I have a copy of the article as well, I might try making a "love seat" too. Will pm you my email address, even though you already have(or had) it.
    Cheers
    Jim

"I see dumb peope!"

Jim,

The aforementioned rocker is not for me. As you must surely realize, a man of my advanced years, and obvious gravitas, would not be likely to find much use for it

Rocker

David
    Sorry to cast aspersions on your motives, didn't realise it was for someone else.
    It was meant to be an "(h)armless" comment
    Cheers
    Jim

"I see dumb peope!"

Hmm; I have just noticed an error in my post #3; 2.54 mm should read 6.54 mm.

Rocker

I'd love a copy of the box joint jig plans. Please mail to tim"AT"hower.us

Thanks

Yes I recently received your mortising jig plans and haven't built it yet. But I've thought about it alot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast