PDA

View Full Version : Veneered plywood

clogger
28th July 2009, 01:06 PM
I've a got a small project making a clock and the instructions call for the backing to the cabinet to be 6mm plywood veneered with the wood being used for the project. I'm considering using Jarrah or Red Cedar.
The backing is to be in 2 parts, approx 30cm X 30cm and 45cm X 30cm.
I have the use of a 19" bandsaw. I was wondering would it be possible to resaw the Jarrah or Red Cedar to as thin as cut as possible and glue this to the ply? or should I find a company that can supply veneered ply? or use a resawn cut of 6mm thickness and not worry about the ply? I'm wondering if the latter solution may have problems with distortion later on.

joez
28th July 2009, 01:31 PM
A well tuned bandsaw will be able to resaw and cut the veneer you need, you will have to sand out the bandsaw blade marks. If you have access to a bandsaw with the right blade i'd say go for it.

If you need to buy blades etc you might be better off buying a pre-veneered panel or if its just the backing maybe look at getting some bunnings iron on veneer...

joez

clogger
28th July 2009, 02:45 PM
How thick can I leave a bandsawn cut veneer than can be fixed to the ply? Would 3mm be too thick? does it need to be paper thin? I'm confident I can resaw a veneer. The band saw is new and I have a blade suitable for resawing (1/2 " wide, 3 tpi, hook tooth).

echnidna
28th July 2009, 03:03 PM
keep it 3mm or less