PDA

View Full Version : Completed some Boxes!! Finally!

RufflyRustic
5th May 2011, 09:22 AM
Yippee!! i've finally finished some boxes, has taken over a year, but I got there!:D

First up, Camphor Laurel (as usual) with a truly floating insert lid, corner splines, great colour and I think has ended up being a lovely simple box. of course the CL was as tempermental as usual, as you can see from a slight gap between lid and box on the rhs of the picture :rolleyes: but you know how I love my conversations and debates with CL.:D

Next is Dion's Mackay Cedar I've had for a few years now and finally made two lovely little money boxes. I like the MCedar, but I don't think I want to work with it again as it does affect me, even with full PPE :(. These are about 2 years overdue for a lady at work, so am unsure if she will still buy them or not. But that's ok. Squiggle tops for use as money boxes. I got a sample pack of some rare earth magnets and used one set for one box. Boy are those magnets strong!! I'll be getting some more of them I think:2tsup:

The second money box doesn't have a lid, but I decided to go with a well-fitting lift out section, as a nod to those awesome puzzle boxes.

A few years ago Soundman sent some mango box pieces my way and some had lovely burn marks which I found intriguing, so they ended up in a sliding lid box, keeping some of the burn marks for highlights. Love working with mango, we shall definitely be seeing more mango boxes from my shed :)

Lastly is a simple little Myrtle box with Myrtle Burl lid. This was an exercise in straight cuts, good butt joints and my first time working with burl wood. For a little box, it gave me a fair bit of grief, but I won in the end :D

As usual, all boxes are finished with Ubeaut's Hard Shellac and Trad Wax.

Cheers
Wendy

watson
5th May 2011, 09:37 AM
Good things come to those who wait :2tsup:

AlexS
5th May 2011, 09:39 AM
Nice work Ruffly. My favourite is the squiggle top money box, but they others are very nice too.
IMHO the brass latch detracts from the CL, a nice wooden latch in, say, jarrah, would look great.

I_wanna_Shed
5th May 2011, 09:52 AM
Great work Wendy. I too like the Squiggle box - its just screaming to be touched, examined and opened.

Nathan.

RufflyRustic
5th May 2011, 11:29 AM
Goodness! 3 boxes already sold at work and now I've only 3 left for the craft show at lunchtime.

The Lady at work who ordered the 2 money boxes nearly cried when she saw them. She'd completely forgotten about them and were a lovely surprise. It was meant to be because one of her sons wanted one that wasn't easy to get into and one of them is definitely not easy to get into :U

The little myrtle box has sold too. Such a great feeling to see people's reactions that the boxes are exactly what they wanted/needed/were looking for.

Thank you Alex. You are right, the metal latch is a bit dicky - lack of time and good thinking caught me there. Though I did briefly consider wooden latches and hinges, but thought that the focus would be taken away from CL colour and the lid.

That's because I was working on the theory that more than standout features of a box can be too much, eg 1. the CL Grain and Colour, 2. The latch and hinges 3. the shaping of the lid, 4. the splines, 5. arrowheads 6. the difference between the lid insert and edges.

I'd welcome any more comments/discussion on design as it is an area that intrigues me.

Thanks Nathan. That's great to hear, that's the effect I try to get from people :2tsup:

thanks Noel :)

RufflyRustic
5th May 2011, 11:59 AM
I'm a little stunned at the moment, I've just sold the remaining 3 boxes
http://www.ubeaut.biz/jawdrop.gif

http://www.ubeaut.biz/woohoo.gif

AlexS
5th May 2011, 01:18 PM
Congratulations on your sales. Great feeling, isn't it.

I was working on the theory that more than standout features of a box can be too much, eg 1. the CL Grain and Colour, 2. The latch and hinges 3. the shaping of the lid, 4. the splines, 5. arrowheads 6. the difference between the lid insert and edges.
I agree, too many features can be too much. I reckon it would look good with a concealed magnetic clasp, and a simple, plain (say jarrah) lifting handle on the lid, that somehow copied the shape of the lid.

kcam
5th May 2011, 03:04 PM
Great boxes Wendy:2tsup::2tsup:Congratulations on your creative talents and sales. I agree with the comments on "too many features", in my opinion the camphor box would benefit having concealed hinges and no brass catch but a shaped/carved lift with or without a magnetic catch and contrasting splines. Love the unique design of the cedar money boxes :U Kerry

RufflyRustic
5th May 2011, 04:38 PM
Thanks Kerry.

Yes, I see more and more what you mean now Alex. Did you suggest jarrah for the colour or for the strength of the timber when used as a handle? Is that a nescessary question to ponder when making wooden handles?:?

Cliff Rogers
5th May 2011, 04:57 PM
:2tsup:

Ruddy
5th May 2011, 05:00 PM
Thanks for posting Wendy. It's good to see you have been spending some of your spare time in the shed!
I particularly like the squiggle box with the freehand curves. Always good to see something different and making this style as a moneybox makes a great gift. I will definately put that concept on the To Do list.
The myrtle burl lid in the last box has character, lovely burl.
:2tsup:

jmk89
5th May 2011, 05:27 PM
Thanks for sharing and congratulations on the sales!

AlexS
5th May 2011, 05:44 PM
Did you suggest jarrah for the colour or for the strength of the timber when used as a handle?
I suggested it mainly because it contrasts well with CL and doesn't usually have a lot of colour variation within a small piece. Lots of other timbers would go well, perhaps silver ash if you wanted a lighter colour.
Strength has to be considered, but isn't usually a problem in handles like this.

RufflyRustic
5th May 2011, 08:57 PM
Ah,yes, another lightbulb moment. :)

How do you go about designing your boxes? Do you work out a plan beforehand, or swing it and see what comes out when you start working with the timber?

The CL box started out as something completely different, to be honest, but as I kept dry fitting it, standing back and looking at it, it just didn't zing at all, until I changed out the sides and shaped the top.

Everytime I learn a bit more, I find so many more gaps in my knowledge and experience, which are fun filling, of course :D

Andy Mac
5th May 2011, 09:03 PM
I'm a little stunned at the moment, I've just sold the remaining 3 boxes
http://www.ubeaut.biz/jawdrop.gif

http://www.ubeaut.biz/woohoo.gif

Good on you Wendy, and great work! :2tsup:I too find the squiggly lidded one the most attractive.
Catch up soon,
Andy

dai sensei
5th May 2011, 09:16 PM
Good on you Wendy, and great work! :2tsup:I too find the squiggly lidded one the most attractive.

:whs::2tsup:

What a difference to those orginal ones you made with nails and rough sawn timber :U:U

kcam
5th May 2011, 09:46 PM
Ah,yes, another lightbulb moment. :)

How do you go about designing your boxes? Do you work out a plan beforehand, or swing it and see what comes out when you start working with the timber?:D
Wendy, I always sketch out a basic plan showing measurements and make a cutting list so that I can get the optimum cuts from the timber, dimensions can be altered to suit timber if need be, as I mentioned in one of my previous threads sometimes the selected timber dictates the box size and proportions but my advice is always sketch it out. :U KC

AlexS
5th May 2011, 09:48 PM
How do you go about designing your boxes? Do you work out a plan beforehand, or swing it and see what comes out when you start working with the timber?
Sometimes I get an idea in my head, and work on it till I have a design on paper. Then I'll hunt around for some suitable wood. On rare occasions I'll do a prototype in something that's lying around.
Other times I'l get a nice piece of wood, and stare at it over a few days or weeks until I get an idea of what to do with it.
Handles and drawer pulls usually won't be designed until the rest is made, then they can be made to suit.

MajorPanic
5th May 2011, 10:39 PM
Very nice Ruffly :D

groeneaj
6th May 2011, 08:23 AM
Wendy,
You have done a fantastic job with the boxes :2tsup:

It's always good when others appreciate your work, especially when they are prepared to pay!

All the best,
Andy

RufflyRustic
6th May 2011, 09:19 AM
:whs::2tsup:

What a difference to those orginal ones you made with nails and rough sawn timber :U:U

:B :yes:

Thanks Andy and Andy, Major and Kerry

So, sketching out more than what I'm doing at the moment maybe, pondering the timber, prototyping... and not taking the easy way out on handles :doh:

munruben
6th May 2011, 10:07 AM
I particularly loved the Mango box, The design and character of the timber shows through beautifully and would be my pick of those boxes. The others are all nicely made and great but the Mango does it for me. :2tsup::2tsup:

Rattrap
6th May 2011, 10:16 AM
Beautiful job Wendy, love em!:2tsup:

gwambygine
6th May 2011, 04:31 PM
[QUOTE=RufflyRustic;1313005]Ah,yes, another lightbulb moment. :)

Great to see your work and congrats on the sales. Always a satisfactory moment when someone likes something enough to part company with money to have what you have made.

I always swing it. I look at a piece of wood and it is either a lid, or suggests its purpose and I go about trying to help it achieve its suggestion. But hell, I haven't been in the workshop for months.. Heading out there soon! Thanks for the incentive, and enthusiasm.

Lovely stuff.

Maxine

artme
7th May 2011, 09:34 AM
Grey twerk there wendy!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Truly beautiful collection of boxes and very difficult to choose a favourite!

RufflyRustic
7th May 2011, 09:50 AM
Thanks Maxine! glad to hear you will be back in your workshop soon :2tsup:

John, Rattrap and Artme :):2tsup:

TTIT
16th May 2011, 01:09 PM
Good to see you're still productive Wendy and congrat's for selling them so quickly :2tsup: - wish I could get rid of some dust catchers as easy :C :; The boxes all look good but the squiggle top's would take some beating.

mn pete
25th May 2011, 11:27 PM
Of course they all sold! They're great. :2tsup:

Good job!