PDA

View Full Version : Where can one buy Chisel Handles

BobL
14th May 2006, 11:09 PM
On line, or shops in Perth Metro Area

Thanks

soundman
14th May 2006, 11:27 PM
I assume you are talking about hand chisels not wood turning chisels.

If you are talking about hand chisels... the best place is from a wood turner who has made the handle to suit the chisel you have a and to suit your hand and preference.

Stick arround someone from the west will no doubt chime in & help you out.
If not post in the turning forum.

If you are talking turning chisels....the answer is.. you don't you lazy bugger... you gaot a lathe dont you.:D

cheers

Green Woodchips
14th May 2006, 11:28 PM
Bob -

These are a cool project to do yourself. A simple job on the lathe, or else a good one for a drawknife, a plane and some spokeshaves.

They're really not that hard. My $0.02.

Good luck!
GW

Canetoad
15th May 2006, 12:06 AM
if you are trying to find the plastic chisel handles the "unbreakable" ones i tried to find them a couple of years ago only to be told they are no longer available due to liability concerns over people not attaching them corrrectly. Sounded crazy at the time but have never found them since

BobL
15th May 2006, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the responses. The idea of making them does sound like a cool project. My next question then is , can anyone recommend which timber to use?

Christopha
15th May 2006, 10:04 AM
What sort of chisels???? Turning chisels? Mortice chisels?? Paring chisels? Carving chisels?...... Are you going to bash the buggery out of 'em with a thumping great mallet?

TassieKiwi
15th May 2006, 12:42 PM
Look up "Rehabilitating old chisels" in "best of the best" forum.. Bob Smalser makes two with saw, rasps, files and sandpaper. Beeeeyudiful. Lee Valley sell boxwood jobs for tanged bench chisels. About 12-15 US each though!

BobL
15th May 2006, 01:31 PM
What sort of chisels???? Turning chisels? Mortice chisels?? Paring chisels? Carving chisels?...... Are you going to bash the buggery out of 'em with a thumping great mallet?

Sorry, ordinary carpenters chisels, ranging from about 1/4" to 1&1/4" useed primarily for cabinet making.

BobL
15th May 2006, 01:40 PM
Look up "Rehabilitating old chisels" in "best of the best" forum.. Bob Smalser makes two with saw, rasps, files and sandpaper. Beeeeyudiful. Lee Valley sell boxwood jobs for tanged bench chisels. About 12-15 US each though!

Thanks for that great lead, that is a challenging little method. Do you think tassie oak would be OK for a chisel handle?

TassieKiwi
15th May 2006, 02:10 PM
My immediate reaction is yes, but a finer grained timber like Blackwood may be better. Dunno. I'm going to try Huon.

soundman
15th May 2006, 06:25 PM
tasy oak and huon are probably a bit soft.

spotted gum it the typical tool handle timber of choice in australia.
Its hard, resilient, & springy.
Any thing classed as structural KD hardwood would be fine.
Jarrah you mught get away with but it seems a bit brittle & splintery to me in comparison to spotty gum.
cheers

echnidna
15th May 2006, 06:52 PM
I saw some in bunnies geelong about a week ago

Green Woodchips
15th May 2006, 07:10 PM
I still loves me Euro Beech for chisel handles. Plain, but tough.

GW

routermaniac
15th May 2006, 09:13 PM
I have used most aussie hardwoods for chisel handles and have not had any problems. Pine is soft and although might still be ok for paring chisels you may find you split the handle when you are trying to attach the blade.

Stick to hardwoods is my advice. Also, if all you are doing is turning chisels a crappy gmc lathe will do the job and is a great deal of fun.

My favourite chisel of all times is a titan chisel that I have turned a custom handle on, theres nothing like turning a handle just the way you like it. The first time you try it it takes a little while (if you have never turned before) but it gets better with practice.

Good luck.

Routermaniac

Greg Q
15th May 2006, 11:43 PM
The nicest wood that I have ever used for handles and small fittings is apple, from any old backyard tree. The yield is small, and there is no figure to speak of, but it is closed grained, works beautifully and wears very well. Its the closest thing (apart from Camelia) to boxwood that I have found.

Greg